01 January 2009

What Will 2009 Bring?


That would certainly be an answer best found in a crystal ball. But I won't be gazing in to mine since it's apparently been broken for awhile. And that's not such a bad thing because I'm not sure I want to know what the future holds. At least not everything. Part of the fun is having to consistently remind myself that, "I do enjoy the mysteries of life."

"The Crystal Ball" by John William Waterhouse 1902
(Restored and shown mirror image to original)

I guess I could also use that excuse for not really making any New Year's resolutions. Besides I think the best I can hope for is to modify some of my behaviors; break some of my more recent bad habits. So, instead of trying to "Change my ways" (which probably just isn't going to happen), I think I'll call them my 2009 Hopes and Possible Goals. How's that for walking the fence? Anyway.........


Before I go any further I must tell you that last night was the first time in the 10 years that DH and I have been sharing New Year's Eve together that we actually went out. No, no, it's true. We made reservations for a late dinner at Martini's Bistro, right here in downtown Longmont. The food was wonderful and the atmosphere soothing. We shared a bay scallop ceviche and french onion soup. Then each had the most wonderful baby spinach salad with hot bacon vinaigrette dressing. DH had duck breast and I had salmon. Of course we each had ONE martini and we shared a way too fattening chocolate and coconut dessert. It was a lovely evening and a much needed break for both of us.

Needless to say, we came home and managed to be in our PJ's, in bed and reading by 10:30 PM, and snoozing before midnight. LOL. Oh well, there's always the chance that we'll make it until midnight next year. The best part was that we woke up feeling rested and alert without a hangover!


We were up bright and early this morning to greet the New Year, and with coffee cup in hand DH settled in on the sofa to watch football (Nebraska played today and WON!!!!) and I gravitated to the computer where I began looking through my Blogroll.

Speaking of which, I kept coming upon posts about picking a word for 2009, and making it 'yours' for the year. That might actually sound like a fairly easy task - but if you really want it to mean something, to carry some weight, to incorporate it into your life for the next 365 days - it's really not so simple. But in the end, I believe that my word, the one that has significant meaning for me is (drum roll, please..................) CONNECTED.

Maybe because I have been so disconnected for so long. Lost, sort of. And I would really like to put the pieces back together this year. I truly miss the feeling of being connected to my thoughts, my life, my dreams, my hopes, and most of all, to myself.

Okay, so I have my first Hope and Possible Goal for the year. (As she wipes the sweat beads off her forehead). And maybe, just maybe if I can follow though on that, the rest will fall into place.

A couple other things that I want to shoot for is 2) keeping my camera strapped to my hip so that I don't keep missing out on all of my great adventures and 'never to come again' moments; 3) renewing my interest in hobbies; and 4) updating the links and cleaning the 'stuff' up on my blog.

So with that said I guess I'll go stare at the mess in my studio and try to find some motivation. I wish you all the very best of luck in defining and keeping to your Hopes and Possible Goals for 2009.



Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!



5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed your blog posts and comments on my blog throughout 2008 and look forward to many more in 2009! Happy New Year!!!

ZONE F DG TEAM said...

Happy New Year and I hope to remain connected through blogging again this year.

Kitty said...

Hi Gerry. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I've had a lovely time looking through yours.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one sleeping peacefully as the New Year came in! I like the idea of having a 'word' for the new year. I'd have to give some thought to what my 'word' might be.

I hope you and your loved ones have a wonderful 2009.

Take care :-)

Cat said...

Connected... I like that.

I can relate. I think my brain is feeling more connected now that I'm taking vitamin D suppliments.. kind of getting out of the mush.

I'm glad you two had such a nice NYE! Sounds like fun.

Looking forward to seeing your first creative endeavor of 2009.

XO, Cat

Gerry said...

Hello Ladies. It seems that we all have big plans (and hopes) for 2009. I look forward to following your blogs this year, too.