12 January 2009

Side Tracked

I wanted to make note that another of my very most favorite blogs to follow is Cat's. She's recently taken a real interest in drawing. And she's very good at it. She's even getting ready to take an art class. How cool is that?

These are some of my favorite of her latest works:


As I was looking through her blog getting ready to make this post, I started thinking about how things in our lives have changed. How life has changed us. And it occured to me that I do hold a special place in my heart for Cat. I suppose it's in part because we became friends through our blogging adventures, actually met up later in Park City, Utah while on vacation in November, 2007 and have managed to maintain our friendship - albeit long distance.

Before we even met (in person) we were amazed at how much we actually did have in common. Be it blessings, interests, or sorrows. One of those being our love for animals; dogs in particular.

DH and I had just lost our sweet, darling, Bella to a rare and aggressive cancer in October, and were struggling to come to terms with it during our trip to Utah.

Sadly, the following month and during that trip, Cat and her family suffered a devastating loss when their beloved companion, Blue went (as Cat says) "to play ball with the angels", after loosing his battle with a rare and aggressive cancer.

As tear-jerking as this all might sound, bonds are often strengthened between people during a time of loss. Even if that's not the ideal situation. Anyway, and luckily, Annie came into their lives to help fill the void, and ease the pain. Not as a replacement, just a new addition. Someone furry to love!

I admire them for being able to welcome Annie into their lives. DH and I still haven't quite reached that point. Besides, we're pretty sure that Fritz likes being an only child. We'll see what the future holds in that regard.

Anyway, we got to visit with Cat and her family again in October, 2008 while we were on vacation in Utah. We all drank some wonderful home brewed beer, threw darts, had a really nice visit, and we got to meet Annie in person.

I think we're all looking forward to getting together in the spring or summer to do another thing that we have in common - motorcycle riding. Cat and her DH are Harley riders, too. It's going to be such a treat to be able to meet up with them either here in Colorado, or in Utah, or somewhere in between.

As I look at the fresh snow on the ground right now, and watch the wind blowing, that day seems really far off. LOL.

Well, I suppose I should get back on track and try to get my errands run. Who knows what the weather will bring later.


Until Next time...Happy Needling!!!





7 comments:

Kitty said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to read you lost your dog - she was very beautiful. When you're ready, you'll maybe get another pet? At least you still have Fritz.

It's good to make friends - whether they be internet friends, real life friends, or both.

x

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

What a sweet post about a very talented lady.

Isn't it wonderful how something like a blog can cause lasting friendships?!?!?!

Judy S. said...

Hi Gerrie, Lucky you to have met Cat face to face! I've enjoyed watching her metamorphosis these last few months. It'll be interesting to see what affect her lessons have, won't it? BTW are you liking your car better now that you've had snow?

Linda Fleming said...

Oh Gerry, I am so sorry for your loss! How heartbreaking, I know. Dogs just don't live long enough. After losing my last dog, I really hesitated to get another because it hurts so bad to lose them. But then along came Isabella, and I am glad now that I opened my heart up to another dog.

Gerry said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Kitty, Mindy, Judy and Linda. It's comforting to know that you all understand being owned by your pets.

Yes Judy, I'm coming to terms with the car. I don't do change well. LOL.

My best friends are online. Hmmmm, let me think about that :-)

Cat said...

Gerry, I am catching up on your blog! What a suprise to see me!!

Thank you for the heartfelt lovely post! Makes my eyes a bit gushie...

...and it hit me...we haven't met Fritz yet... and I see him in an above post surrounded by his toys.

I am looking forward to heading that direction come warmer temps!

Big hugs, Cat

Gerry said...

Too bad Fritz and Annie can't meet. I'm sure they'd hit it off!