09 July 2007

Comfort Doll

As some of you are aware Pat Winter at Gatherings has posed a challenge of sorts. She's calling it the Comfort Doll Project and the goal is to create and donate a 'Comfort Doll' which will ultimately find its way to a woman in need. Specifically, women who have suffered abuse.

Anyway, on June 23, 2007 she posted this Open request for all, "Giving with your heart, made from your hands" and as you might imagine, the idea spread like wild-fire. And within just a few days, dolls started arriving at her door. Click here for the mailing address.

It makes my heart swell to know that so many people have and will take the time to contribute and to become part of such a wonderful 'cause' as this. It's no surprise that Jo has offered to help out and to spread the word. To see more of Jo's dolls just click on the side bar labels under "spirit dolls." She's done some very fun and creative work so far. Jo has also set up a Flickr site where dolls can be displayed and viewed.

Allie's doll is here. Linda's here. Click here to find a number of links which Pat has provided for free patterns. The pattern that I used for my doll came from Rhonda at Kivett-Studio. This particular pattern is called Butterfly Goddess. The finished doll is 7", which is larger than the requested size but it didn't shrink up like I expected it to. I have to assume that it will still be accepted.



The face is baked clay, painted and sealed with a glitter glue. I added the head-dress portion so that I would have something to attach it with. Then I decorated it with beads to cover the anchor threads.



I really enjoyed making this doll. Not only because it will go to someone in need but also because I have longed to make a doll for quite some time now.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and maybe even to consider making your own Comfort Doll.

Happy Needling!

9 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

She's so pretty! You've used the mold, and a great job with it, too. Good idea for the head dress!

I intend to make one, want to make one, and a nice friend even sent me a pattern... but I haven't done it yet. That's next, before anything else!!

Jo in NZ said...

Gerry, thankyou honey for making a doll for this project. Have you joined the flickr group, or can I post the pic for you?
Let me know
XX

Gerry said...

Charlene, I just know you'll make a great doll. I can't wait to see it. And thanks, Jo for all of your help, too!

JK said...

Oh this is so sweet. I know who ever receives it, will be thrilled.

Susan said...

She's gorgeous! I'm absolutely sure her extra height will not be a problem. =)

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I love the doll. I also love women taking care of women. I am going to the links right now to see if I can make one. Here's hoping that my skills are good enough!

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Gerry, I received the doll today and it is so beautiful. Your photo does not do it justice at all. Thank you so much for your donation. Thanks also for the wonderful goodies that arrived to keep the doll company. You are very generous and kind.

Gerry said...

Thanks for your kind words JK, Susan, Minday & Pat.

And remember...there's still time to make one (hint, hint, hint) :-)

girlgonethreadwild said...

Your comfort doll is simply stunning! I love the serenity of the expression and the fun stitching. Thanks for stopping by my blog...it lead me to yours and I can't stop looking! lol