10 August 2007

August 13th Happenings

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketMonday, August 13th, 2007 will be my one year Blog Anniversary. And this will be my 209th post. I'm posting this early because DH has plans for us to celebrate and I won't be available then.

My goodness, how quickly time passes. I have so enjoyed this past year. I've been very fortunate to have met some truly wonderful people, both through blogging and through my groups. And I've learned soooo much about code, images, and tweaking in general.

I'm also excited about the 13th because it's International Lefthanders Day! How suiting that a complete Lefty/Southpaw should embark on such an adventure on that particular day.

I also send congratulations out to all Lefties and Southpaws, which ever way you classify yourselves. I would also like to have you chime in and let me know who you are. I know that there are a number of us out there.

But did did you know????
International LeftHander's Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander's International. And according to Left-Hand Zone this day was chosen because it was Friday the 13th and a way to poke fun at the superstitions that surrounded left-handed people for years. This event is now celebrated worldwide so left-handers everywhere can celebrate and increase public awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of being left-handed.


So, in the spirit of the "DAY", I would also like to offer some Lefty trivia just for the occasion:

First of all, let's look at how the brain is organized (image and information courtesy of Left-Hander's Day 2007)

Brain organisation -
No-one has come up with a definitive reason for WHY some people are left-handed, but about 13% of the population around the world are, and it is thought to be genetic - it definitely runs in families. Researchers have recently located a gene they believe "makes it possible to have a left-handed child " so if you have that gene, one or more of your children may be left-handed, whereas without it, you will only have right-handers - sorry! The good news is, that if you are left-handed yourself, you have that gene and will pass it on through the generations!

The way the brain works is incredibly complex, but this simplified explanation will give you some understanding of where our left-hand dominance comes from. The brain is "cross-wired" so that the left hemisphere controls the right handed side of the body and vice-versa and hand dominance is connected with brain dominance on the opposite side - which is why we say that only left-handers are in their right minds!


The left hemisphere (RIGHT HAND CONTROL) controls Speech, Language, Writing, Logic, Mathematics, Science, this is the LINEAR THINKING MODE.

The right hemisphere (LEFT HAND CONTROL) controls Music, Art, Creativity, Perception, Emotions, Genius, this is the HOLISTIC THINKING MODE. Additional and more in depth information can be found at Anything Left-Handed.


An interesting fact for all of us bloggers and typists is that on a standard keyboard (QWERTY), approximately 1,447 words are typed solely with the left hand. While only approximately 187 words are typed using solely the right hand.


Left Handed Facts and Trivia from Holiday Insights:

Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness.

While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.

Lefties are also called "southpaws". The term was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.

Tuesdays are Lefties luck day.

Only about 10% of the population is left handed.

During the 1600's people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.

It is believed that all polar bears are left handed.

There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.

Think about it: Everyone is a Left Hander in Left Hand, West Virginia.

Lefthander's Slogan: "Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it". ...Brilliant Author unknown


If you're interested in How "Left" You Are you might want to take this little quiz. I was very surprised to discover that, according to this test, I was split 50-50 on Left or Right.

Yet, in a test at Left-Hander's Universe I scored 12 out of 12. And should consider myself strongly left-handed.


Find Left-Handed Fascinating Facts here. One fact: 4 of the 5 original designers of the Macintosh computer were left-handed.


Find Famous Lefties here by profession/category.


And finally, Space Covers has some very interesting information regarding Lefties, from IQ's to sleep habits to Presidents. Including mention that the USPS 13 cent postage stamp commemorated the first U.S. Postmaster, Benjamin Franklin, who was also a Lefty. (I'm also a bit of a numerology geek, too.)


I do appreciate all of the time that you've taken to read my blog and to leave your comments this past year. And I hope you enjoyed the journey. I know I have! So, I guess all that's left to say is....

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for all the info on "us" left-handed folk! My dad, myself, and my daughter are all left-handed. Knew my daughter was going to be left-handed right away.

Jo in NZ said...

Happy blogaversary Gerry...and a great addition to the blogging community you have been.
XX

Gerry said...

I guess it's true....time does fly when you're having fun. LOL.

Thanks Sara and Jo.