10 August 2007

Vintage Embroidery

A while ago I posted that I was able to add a number of beautiful hand embroidered pillow case sets to the small collection that I already had. And I was going to post them, then I spaced it out. Well, yesterday I took the photos and today I share them.

I don't use them for 'every day' but I do put them out (and rotate them around) in my guest rooms. They're just so pretty to look at that I hate to have them hidden away. That and the fact that I don't want my furbabies to play tug-o-war with them either.

Each set has either a tatted or crocheted edge/opening. Some of them are so tiny and so delicate that I have to wonder how they could possibly have survived for the last 30-50+ years. I know I don't subject them to direct light, I gentle fluff in a cool dryer to remove dust, and only when it's absolutely necessary, do I gently hand launder them.



These little birds are just darling. There is so much detail on these cases. Don't you just love beautifully tatted the edges/openings are with that multi-colored thread? This set is of four pillow cases. Two with the birds and two with only the tatted edge/opening.




I just love these little kittens. It's a little difficult to see because of the light colored thread but one says, "Willing", and the other "Able". I somehow think that one is missing....The one that says, "Ready".





Now wouldn't these just take you to dream land?




This is my favorite set. The photo doesn't begin to do them justice. These are in the "Jill" room on the girly bed, with the pretty throw pillows and my Victorian doll.




I hope you enjoyed seeing them.

9 comments:

loulee said...

Gerry your pillow slips are beautiful. No wonder you cherish them.

Barbara C said...

Thanks for sharing your pretty pillow cases. Good for you for finding ways to use them. I always think it's a nice treat to use pretty linens.

Susan said...

I love your collection! These are the neatest things to collect. Did you inherit any of them, or find them all in antique stores, or . . . ? Thank you for sharing them with us.

Ati said...

Lovely pillowslips Gerry, the reason that they all are in good condition is; they are so little used. Every owner have used them only with special occasions I think.
And so do you :) you safe them for the next generation too ;))

Clothmatters said...

Hey Gerry! Make that four times you have been tagged for being nice. I have tagged you too!

Connie

Cat said...

Nice treasures! Lots of work in these!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry, I had a lovely time catching up on your blog :-) Your vintage linen embroidery pieces are all stunning.

Gerry said...

Hello!!! It's so nice to see you all out and about.

Thank you for your comments. And also for your appreciation of such a special time in history.

I's such a delicate balance...wanting to use, to enjoy, and to show off your treasures and at the same time wanting to preserve them.

I vote for enjoying them!

Linda Fleming said...

Your pillow case collection is gorgeous! My grandmother embroidered, crocheted, and did tatting. It's so sad that none of her work was saved by my family. What a loss!